Monday 29 January 2007

don't bring me flowers


I was just walking past our local florist this morning when it reminded me of a conversation I had with N (my b/f ) over the weekend. He asked me what flowers I want him to buy me for valentines day. I said I don't want red roses. I prefer other flowers but if I'm going to have roses I prefer other colours to red. He started to say that he prefers carnations. I reminded him that he likes carnations because they last longer which was why I had a bouquet of carnations delivered to him at his work last year on his birthday.


I can remember quite clearly the telephone conversation we had on his birthday, when he told me that he wasn't at work that day, I told him that I had sent his birthday present there instead of his flat as he wouldn't be at home during working hours. He was very angry with me, how dare I send gifts to him at work he would be so embarrassed and may well get the sack. They are not allowed to recieve gifts other than flowers. I told him it was flowers. He hit the roof, men don't get flowers, what ever possessed me to do such a thing. We had been discussing flowers a few days earlier when he told me he had never been given any. He also told me the reason he likes carnations best. I had been going to buy him an mp3 player but decided that flowers would be just a touch different and something he would not forget. After all he already thinks I am a crazywoman and he never knows what I will do next.


It was then that he dropped the bombshell. Not only was he not at work but he wasnt at home either. He had gone to stay with the woman that he had started seeing behind my back a few weeks into our relationship. That was the start of a pattern that was to repeat it self for several months. He would go off with TB (the bitch!) for a few weeks, they would break up and he would come back to me. A few weeks later off he went again for another few weeks.


Anyway back to the flowers we talked about the flowers episode on sunday morning or was it still saturday night I can't remember now. The conversation ended with him saying don't ever get me flowers I don't like them around me.


Do most men feel the way he does about flowers or is this sentiment to him?

2 comments:

Cherrie said...

A good question with which I have no personal experience. I don't think I have ever bought flowers for a man, although Hardin buys them for me on occasion and has no problem with having them in the house.

I would think most men would react in a manner similar to N's if you sent flowers to them in the office. Imagine what the other men would say about him! But I think N could have been a little more sensitive about your feelings (you were, after all, just trying to please him).

Now seeing another woman behind your back is not a good sign. It's fine if you've agreed to have an open relationship (and maybe that's where yours has evolved), but without the agreement there's a breach of trust.

A. said...

I remember one boss of mine used to be sent flowers - usually red roses! He seemed quite happy about it, but there was quite a bit of gossip about it, not to mention chuckles.