Thursday 25 January 2007

family

Why is it that you can go years without anyone in the family being in hospital then you get two in hospitals 40 miles apart. My last hospital visits were to take my aged grandfather to visit his partner in hospital when she was dying of cancer 2yrs ago. since then he has gone down hill and my mother has been chasing back and forth everyweek since to look after him. Finally we got him to go into a care home in september 2006. My mother still visits at least once a week she has finally managed to get his bungalow sold early this month, so things should start to ease up for her now.

yesterday she went into hospital for a knee replacement operation so I shall be caring for her for a few weeks and taking her to visit her dad (hes 92). Last night I got a call from the care home. I am now temporarily head of the family!!!! He has pnemonia and needs hospital treatment but refusing to go as his daughter is in hospital and hes afraid he wont come out and wont see her again.

At my suggestion the home managed to get a local lady that he has a soft spot for to speak to him and he has now consented and they are awaiting the ambulance at this moment. so I shall have to visit my mum in one of our local hospitals tonight then tomorrow drive an hour to visit my grandfather. I just hope there is no crisis with my paternal grandmother also 92 who lives 3 hours away. She is currently mourning the loss of her beloved sister 2 weeks ago. My dad died 12yrs ago and my aunt lives in Germany.

why do family crisis always happen simultaneously?

3 comments:

Freddy said...

eventually this will be my role in life too I guess. But dad is 80 now and has already told me he hs no intention of growing old.
I hope that I have his energy and vigour when I reach his age. I hope I reach 80 there's still so much I want to share with S

Lady in red said...

my grandad was still in his own home until september and up til sept 2004 he was looking after his partner of 20 yrs. when my gran died my grandad was 71 6 months later he met a widow down the road who moved in with him. when she died 2 yrs a go he got a soft spot for her (married) hairdresser. Hes been treating her as his g/f since. Buying her jewelry giving her large amounts of money. shes maybe 2 yrs older than me!!!
He was still driving until autumn 2005.

Vi said...

Sorry to here this, lady. I dread any news of my mum or dad falling ill, since they are on the other side of the world, I can't be there for them. Saying that, my paternal grandad is 101 and still going strong, maternal grandmother in her nineties, so hope my parents follow suit!