Monday 12 March 2007

grandad

We drove down to the New Forest to visit my grandfather (92 ) in the care home where he has lived since september last year. It was the first time I had visited him there without my mother. When we arrived they were all in the dining room just coming to the end of a quiz. My grandfather (CC) was just by the door, I signed in a knelt by his side to say hello. His face lit up when he realised who it was. The last time I had seen him a few weeks ago he was in hospital with pneumonia. We moved into the communal sitting room. We couldn’t use the conservatory where CC is usually found …..he likes that room very spacious, light and peaceful. I have never seen more than three of them in there, CC, Alice who apparently is no longer there and Harry who chats to CC but CC says he talks too much and should learn to shut up.

Anyway we found a group of armchairs which CC thought would be suitable for his granddaughter and her friend who I introduced to him (N). CC instantly decided that he recognised his other visitor and my hasn’t he grown up!! He thought it was my eldest son (19). Cheers granddad N is 5 weeks older than me !!!!!!
We had the usual chat about how he is, how I am and how the boys are getting on. I told him how my mum is and that I would bring her to see him soon and we will take him out for lunch. Mum is on crutches and couldn’t face the slope that leads up to the entrance of the Care Home. After a while I went up to his room to hang up the new trousers I had brought him along with supply of paper hankies and chocolate bars. Before we left I stopped to tell the manager that I had hung his trousers in his wardrobe for him. She asked after my mother, then we talked about my grandad, it seems he has a girlfriend. I assumed they meant the lady who befriended him after his partner died 2 years ago, she now works in the care home. But they meant one of the other residents. They wanted our family to know that he might complain that he keeps getting told off by the staff. He has to be separated from Gloria. She holds hands with everyone who sits next to her, but he has on several occasions put her hand on his crotch. Gloria doesn’t mind but it isn’t nice for the other residents. He has also been seen to put his hand on her breast. The staff have been having to separated the pair which upsets CC, they have explained the reason to him. I’m not sure how much he understands about this. In the main he still has most of his mind in tact but there are some hazy areas. I now have visions of CC being thrown out of the home for sexual harassment, his bungalow has recently been sold so he would have to live with my mother……….she wont be happy………..I just hope he starts to behave

No comments: