Thursday 8 March 2007

Result !!

Today I had an unexpected result. when I say unexpected it was until late yesterday afternoon when I got the phone call.
I rent my home from a housing association. Normally they have been pretty good on the rare occassions I have reported a fault that needed to be repaired. But this was rediculous!!!


I spoke to the association representative and reported 3 things that need to be fixed.

1) my living room door need to be re hung. I had taken it off its hinge as, where the kids had hung on the door handle when they were small, over the years we had needed to tighten the screws in the top hinge every now and then. Now the wood had split and the hinge came loose.
2) my livingroom light switch (dimmer) had broken, the knob came off and I couldnt switch the light on.
3) hotwater tap in kitchen needed new washer. It was getting harder and harder to turn off.

A few days later I had a call from a lady who worked for the association. She had a record of the repairs required. she asked me about the door as they thought it was a case of tennant damage. It was wear and tear. She wanted to visit to see for herself. I was out with SL at the time. She came a few weeks later I showed her the door she was satisfied that it was wear and tear. she also said that my kitchen cupboard under the sink was beyond repair and should be replaced. That afternoon a carpenter arrived and fixed my door within 10 mins he had completed the job.
As for the light switch I waited and waited but no one came. every time I spoke to anyone they checked and the repairs were on record to be done. A couple of weeks ago my brother visited for an afternoon. I got him to have a look at the switch as he had trained as an electrician. He had it fixed in minutes. yesterday morning I got a call from the electrician asking if I would be home so he could fix my light switch. I told him it was done a few weeks ago.
Then later I got a call the plumber would be here today to fix my tap. He arrived mid morning and took an hour and a half to sort out my tap. In the end he fitted 2 new taps. The hard water in this area had caused the taps to need replacing.
Ok so what is the big deal I got my repairs done, well not all yet but I can switch on my light and turn off my tap. The big deal is that it has taken 6 months. the plumber showed me the paperwork. repairs reported 12/9/06 date received by contractor to carry out work 06/03/07 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Vi said...

I privately rent and have just as much trouble getting them to do things!

Sexy Vixen said...

yeah pain isnt it. we rented privately for years til we got this place. Unfortunately it was fine til the owners wanted to sell up which happened 3 times to us. been here 10 yrs now. too small for us really but as the numbers go down it will be better. Eldest wants to move out and be independent once he can afford it which wont be long now that he has a decent job at last!!