Monday 11 June 2007

things I would like to do

When I had cancer a few years ago in my late thirties I figured it was life giving me a kick up the backside for wasting my life. I was letting life just drift along, I wasn’t being pro active in my own life. Surviving meant that I couldn’t waste my life any more. It took me a while to get my act together, regaining my strength working out what I want.

At around that time I was hearing a lot about people who had wish lists of things they wanted to do ie 40 things to do before I’m 40. I began to think about what I wanted to do. There were all the grand gestures that people come up with. But the more I thought about it I realised that for me it was the little things that matter more. There are some things that I would like to do.
1)I have always wanted to ride in a hot air balloon, I think that would be awesome.
When I was younger I wanted to do a free fall from an aircraft but now I realise that is unlikely to ever happen so I would be happy just to have a ride in a helicopter.
2) But more down to earth I would like to ride pillion on a motorbike again. I did this when I was young, free and single. My neighbour did offer to take me on the back of his bike but then I began thinking about the way he drives his car (recklessly, I’m so glad he doesn’t drive my kids around anymore) and knew I could never trust him to behave on his bike. He’s since lost his driving license anyway.
3) I want to learn to ride a horse (I have always been terrified of horses).
These are the main things I have set my heart on but there are many other smaller things, things which I like to do in an everyday sense.
Given the choice of driving along a busy main road or through countryside I would choose countryside, or beach road.
I cannot understand people who drive around in warm weather with their windows closed and the air conditioning on. I much prefer to drive with the windows down feeling the wind in my hair.
I appreciate the sound of bird song when I wake in the morning. The sound of small children laughing.
I love the scent of clean laundry, vanilla, peaches, fresh bread
I love freesias, Californian poppies, creamy roses (not red)
I can spend hours watching the wind in the trees, or on water.
I love the thrill of driving fast
I love listening to music (any kind other than loud noise)
Whenever I get the chance to experience something new 9 times out of 10 I will take the opportunity while I can. This includes rollercoasters which I would never go on before.
Whenever possible I like to be spontaneous, but I also like to be prepared for every eventuality.
I am trying to invite people into my world without putting up barriers. In the past I always kept people at arms length.

2 comments:

Vi said...

Why can't you jump out of a plane now? You are never too old for that! (that is also one of my 'to do' lists)

Sage said...

I hope that you get to do everything on your list and more!