Tuesday 5 June 2007

will he or won't he?

For an absolute age #1 son has been wanting to move out. Not because he doesn’t like living here, but because he thinks he’s grown up and wants his independence. I have heard all the plans and always say to myself it wont happen. He and his friends just have no idea. We have had lots of discussions about household bills etc. I don’t think any of them realise just how hard it will be, both financially and in a practical sense if he and his friends rent a house together. He knows as well as I do that I will be financially better off if he moves out. It will also be easier as this house is really too small for all of us but we manage. I have made it quite clear to him that even though it would help me if he moves out I am in no way saying he should go. We have our rows and disagreements (not often as I rarely see him these days) but we do mostly get on well. I would not force him to leave home but at the same time I wont discourage him. This is his home and will be for as long as he wants/needs it. But I wont stand in his way if he wants to move out and be an independent grown up.

On Saturday he and one of his friends went to see a house. This is one step further than they had got previously. He said it was alright but they were not going to take it. Then last night he told me that he was going to share a house with his band. He was going to share with one of the other band members all along. But now it seems that the other band members (all except the drummer who is moving to Brighton to do drumming course) have decided they want to share a house together. Apparently they had been told that the newest band member’s dad has a house to rent which has a garage which is suitable for practicing in. After lots of msn and text discussions last night it has been decided that they could rent this house £160 each per month plus bills. They won’t find anywhere cheaper. The house will be ready in three weeks, so at the moment this is the plan. He is looking forward to this and tells me that he will probably do his food shopping fortnightly (likely to live on frozen food). He thinks they will all share the food (I had asked if they intended to have one freezer each). He’s looking forward to being able to have his girlfriend of 3 years to stay over sometimes. She will be going to the university not far from the house. They have decided that when he moves out he will spend a day decorating his old room ready for his brother to move in there. My other three who all share a room are already (have been for months) arguing over who will get the room. #2 thinks it will be him as hes next eldest and will be at college soon so will need the peace. #3 thinks it should be him as he is the only one that ever tidies their room. He wants his own room he can keep tidy. #4 thinks it should be him as he is the most untidy and they wont get cross with him if he’s in a different room. Seeing as I get final say, I have said that it will remain #1’s room for a while as he could well be back within a month or two. When it is clear he isn’t coming back it will be #2’s room.

Now it just remains to be seen if he will move out!

4 comments:

Vi said...

ooohhhh, cutting the apron strings. Sounds like you are actually ready for it!

Southern Swinger said...

Ah! The joys of being a parent. Launching the young adults is an interesting and challenging part of being a parent. One if the advantages of a young person attending college away from home, it provides an opportunity to gradually move out. They can enjoy some independence while having some safety net. Take a deep breath It will all work out.

Fat Controller said...

He'll be home soon enough when he runs out of clean clothes! We've been through the same things with our 18-y-o.

Lady in red said...

I think you are right I am ready now for him to fly the nest. A month ago I wasn't ready although I would not have stood in his way.