Wednesday 22 August 2007

worthwhile

There are moments that make my reason for existing worthwhile.

After I recovered from my cancer I wrote an open letter to the mothers of children who attended the same schools as my children. (In the years since I have also sent this letter to various online friends I have made.) Reminding them that they owe it to their children to take care of themselves and take all available precautions including medical screening when it is offered. If I could prevent just one woman going through what I did or worse dying then it makes my illness worthwhile.

There have been times when friends or family members have been feeling depressed or finding things difficult to cope with. If I can do anything to help whether it is practical or just being there I am glad. everytime that something I do or say makes someone smile even if its only for a minute that makes my life worthwhile.

Yesterday I had a conversation with a friend who is going through a difficult time. I was woken by a text from him at 1.30am (approx)telling me that 'Your words helped very much. You will never know.' That makes my reason for being worthwhile. Some weeks ago during a conversation I said that I believe everyone who comes into our lives does so for a reason. He wondered what reason he had come into my life. In this case I think it has been a case of me coming into his life to help him through a difficult time, which in turn is giving me someone to worry about. I am good at worrying about others and making sure they are ok. To me this makes my life worthwhile

9 comments:

Fire Byrd said...

You are around for so many people. And i for one am really pleased you are in my life. Even though it's a blog world.
I feel grateful for all the support you give me, and entertainment with your wicked ways!!
px

George said...

Have you noticed that our little blog community supports each other ... no matter what.

Good for you LiR ... if feels great when we can help, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

You sound like you are filling the same role for your friend that a dear friend of mine is filling for me. It's nice to read your perspective and for me to realize that I bet he feels the same way. I sometimes feel bad that I seem to need him so much, but he says the same thing you do, that being there to help me get through these things makes him feel fulfilled. Thank you for sharing this.

Ordinary Girl said...

The little things certainly can make the biggest difference. To both concerned.

DJ Kirkby said...

Oh! Now your profile pic makes more sense to me. You sound like a strong woman.

Anonymous said...

Timing is everything. And I expect you timed it just right

Voice from Afar

n said...

Everyone should have a Lady in Red. xx

Sage said...

I agree with you, Lady. I think that everyone we meet comes into our lives for a reason. Sometimes it is a moment and sometimes it is for a lifetime. There are definitely quite a few people here in Blogland that have been a tremendous support to me.

Joanna Cake said...

Ages ago, someone gave me a photocopy of a piece called, A Reason, A Season or A Lifetime. It's how you quantify your friends I guess.
I mentioned this to another friend recently and that I would try to find it. Lo and behold a few days later someone else totally unconnected sent it to me by email as part of a sort of chain letter. I will send it to you, excluding the chain bit - dont you just hate having to send it on to x friends to see how (un)popular you are!