Friday 27 April 2007

Names

I was interested to read the post by The Man about choosing a name for his new friend. This got me thinking about the names we use for others on our blogs. some use numbers which I do for my sons. Others including me have used initials which is fine when there are only a few to remember (when using initials I never use the person's real initials but ones that mean something to me as in PL for passionate lover). I have now reached the stage where the initials were getting too confusing especially when there are some very similar ones. I have been persuaded by some of my blogger friends to begin using names. I resisted this at first as I don't have the kind of imagination to come up with names that I will remember who is who so that the name means smething to me but no one else. I am getting there gradually.

But there was a time last year when I used a name for my lover of the time which was not a name I chose. Interestingly it was my then husband who chose the name. He was still living in the house and knew I was seeing someone. For some reason he decided that the man I was seeing was called Mike. He decided that Mike was a police man and lived in one of two places,
Mike was Billy (N) who was not a police man and doesn't live anywhere near where my husband thought. He used to say things like 'I know where Mike lives and I have friends who dont like him'
or I am outside his house and we are waiting for you. My friends are going to smash up his car'
'Mike' doesnt drive!

He still even now has no idea what my lover's name is or which town/city he lives in or what he does for a living. My boys knew that their father thought I was seeing Mike (they knew his real name). But whenever any of us spoke about him in the house we used the name Mike just in case he was lurking. One night I was out with 'Mike' my ex tried to trick my youngest by asking if mum was out with Terry. But it didnt work my baby just said 'no shes with Mike' I put an old number on my mobile and called it Mike then put Billy in under his initials (which incidentally came out as a rather interesting name equating to something like prat). He tried several times with the boys to get them to spill the beans. But I am so proud of them as not once did any of them say anything. My eldest was never around much so he just said that he didnt know and that was how he liked it....if he didnt know then had nothing to say. I still don't know how he came up with the name Mike, I dont think there has ever been a Mike. I do know how he came up with the other information he thought he knew. typical man putting one and one together and reaching three. He used to listen outside my doorwhen I was in bed talking to Billy on the phone. He thought that as we spoke late at night he must work shifts. As my ex was caught drink driving soon after I met Billy he must therefore be a copper and we had got him done. It never occurred to him that the police were just watching him come out of the pub..he was 4x over the limit not clever for a lorry driver.(pub is 5 minutes walk from the house). He decided he knew where Mike lived because one morning he found a tesco bag in the kitchen. We dont have a tesco in our town. It never occurred to him that I had taken #3 son to football training in one of the cities on the way home I stopped at tesco for ingredients #2 son needed for school next day.

He thought he was being so clever....he was just being an idiot.

On the other side of things when Billy flipped the other week he thought after finding my blog that everyone who has read it will know who he is. that by using the initial N I had identified him to everyone. I have assured him that not one person reading my blog would have any idea who he is .....there is only one person who even knows which town/city he lives in. Not even those who know which town I live in would know that. suffice to say he is not local.

maye I should post his photo one day!!

1 comment:

David said...

All I can say on the subject is that I really didn't like discovering that I was a number ...