Friday 21 September 2007

flat battery

Well I did it, went to the gym on my way home from work. Arriving a little after 3pm in theory it should be quiet. There is a large gym on the ground floor complete with 6 wide screen TV's that you can watch using head phones. But for the moment at least I think I prefer the privacy of the smaller gym on the first floor next to the ladies changing room. when I was ready to begin I found there were already 2 others using the equipment. I selected the cross trainer furthest from the others. I was suprised to find that I got into a good rhythm right from the start and my speed was faster than yesterday. I was pleased to see that my heart rate although high to begin with was gradually easing. both men had left the cross trainers and dispersed to other equipment before I left my machine. Next I headed for a tread mill. setting myself up for a steady uphill walk I put my headphones on and swithed on my MP3 player for some invigorating music to walk to. Damn !! an Blast!! bloody battery was flat ........ not a single note for my ears to enjoy. So I had 15 yes 15 minutes of staring at the wall ahead gradually increasing the incline then the speed with not much to keep my mind occupied. But I still kept my head phones on just to give the impression that I was listening to music.


Next onto the weight machines,

one of the guys from earlier was also on these machines. after I started on my second weight machine he sat on the one to my right and started chatting. He was very nice and friendly, giving me advice on how to enjoy the experience and not to make it so hard that I don't enjoy it. Once I got over my initial embarrassment I found that I was really pleased he had chatted to me. he said I should get a friend to go with me to give each other support when it gets tough. I told him most of my friends would be working at this time of day he admitted he was sciving. after he moved on to finish his workout else where I did the other equipment in the series I had been shown then back for more cross training to finish with.
Now I have bought a packet of batteries for my MP3 player and am hiding them from the boys. Now I need to sort myself a new play list of songs to work out to...........any suggestions ?

10 comments:

George said...

Hey Hey LiR ... congratulations. The guy beside you was right ... don't make it so difficult that you won't enjoy it. As far as music goes ... select tunes that will have you woving and shaking. You are getting your blood pumping, let the music add to that. I know some people, mostly middle aged women, whi will listen to quiet music ... and they never really get all of the benefit of the workout.

Have fun and a great weekend

Freddy said...

your heart rate shouldn't ease through exercise
have a look at this
http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/activity/thr.htm

keep at it

DJ Kirkby said...

Oh def dance or trance music, the best for invigoration, well in my opinion. That looks like a nice gym.

Vi said...

You go girl! I couldn't be arsed with the gym. I'm lucky to have vibration training. 10 minutes of wobbling is equivilent to an hours workout! I'm such a lazy git!

Lady in red said...

George it is up beat music I want my only worry is that I might start singing along.

freddy thanx for the link I have had a good look and added the site to my favourites. I think maybe the reason my heart rate eased was because I started high due to my nerves which settled down as I got into the swing of it.

Vi I remember you showing the magazine article to me and Goro (what happened to her btw).
I think I need to feel that I am doing something to give me the positivity I need. standing on a machine that vibrates me might make me feel as though I was cheating. although I am lazy so would love one in my bedroom

Lady in red said...

dj I dont think I need 'trance' music I might become zombiefied
I think I need something happy and energetic to spur me on

Percy said...

instrumental music.. BUT something to get you moving...
when I do the exercise bike.. I usually listen to Santana..

Jungle VIP said...

I'm very encouraged by this show of energy. Inspired.
JVIP

HAR said...

If that was me and my batteries were flat, I would have used that as an excuse to go home. I guess you know why I am fat.

Lady in red said...

har that is why I am doing this. I put on a lot of weight after my cancer because I couldn't and still can't eat a healthy diet. that coupled with the lack of energy while I got my strength back then going back to office work all added up to my weight increasing.
I lost 4 1/2 st (63lb) during my divorce but have found that going back to work has increased my waist line again.
Now that I know I can lose the weight I want to get back to the size I was a year ago.
Having thrown out 2 sacks of clothes that were too big for me I don't want to get back to that size, if I don't do something now that will happen sooner rather than later. so I have an incentive to keep going flat battery or not. I now have a secret stash of batteries shhhhh don't tell my boys