Friday 28 September 2007

Racy

My first session of my evening class was fun although a tad daunting. I have known for a long time that the woman running the classes is a real character. (my mother went to her classes for 2 years). My mother knows that I write but does not know what I write. This evening I called in to see my mum on my way home from work. I wanted to borrow her copy of my tutor's first book. Weeks ago my mum told me that she had recently read the second book. she was not going to let me borrow these books until I had met the author as ... they are a bit "Racy". I grinned to myself at this. We were discussing this lady and her books and my mum was telling me that June's book are not the kind of thing most people can write......in her early days she made lots of money by writing for 'mens magazines' not the sort of thing either of us could ever write. Oh mother, mother how well you know your daughter ..... not !!!


June is a rather jolly, down to earth woman. I have a feeling her classes will be full of laughter. The thing I find daunting is that there were 16 of us and when we bring in our homework which will be set every week. We have to read our work out for the class to comment on. I am rather shy (yes I know some of you might not believe that). I am ok in small groups of 3 or 4 but larger groups I find difficult. I am ok if I can sit back to watch and listen but not speaking to everyone at once. even just introducing myself to the group I could feel my face getting hotter and my eyes watering. How am I going to manage to read aloud the kind of writing that I do, especially as it is a mixed group of mostly older women and a couple of older men. Not many younger women, no younger men.


I have only read the first few pages of June's first book but already I can tell this is going to be very entertaining. The very first line contains the words 'fuck' and 'bitch'. there is a sticker on the front cover which states that if you like Martina Cole you'll love this.......I am pretty sure that I remember Martina being one of CG's favourite authors.


so if anyone is interested go find this book ..........Trust Nobody by June Hampson published by Orionbooks

3 comments:

cheekyfaces said...

Lady, I know what you mean about introductions to lots of people, I have attended various meetings over the years and the one part I absolutely hate is the going round the table.....'I'm so and so and this is what I do'......I always feel like saying something naughty!!

DJ Kirkby said...

Oooh sound sinteresting. I am just about to read a book called 'Licorice lollipop' but I might then have a go at this book. I think after the first time your ead out yoru work, you will be ok, the first time is nervewracking though. Do you go to the 'Short story sweepstakes' at Rosies wine bar? I think it is the first Monday each month.

Lady in red said...

hi cheeky I think I should find it difficult to read even the most bland thing out in a group but to read erotic pieces will be doubly difficult. I think I shall have to change my writing to something a little tamer.

dj what is Rosie's wine bar?