Sunday 2 September 2007

school uniforms

we spent hours on friday getting new school uniform and stationery for my youngest two boys and college stuff for #2. got to the big school uniform shop that moved last year from a shop in a nearby village to larger premises in my town only to find it empty so we trooped off to the original school uniform shop in a side street that has been there as long as I have lived in the area (19yrs). It is only a tiny shop about the size of my living room. so you can imagine what it was like with just a few shopping days left before the start of term. there must have been about six families in there most of the time plus about 10 staff. Parents, teenagers, younger children and a minimum of two buggies at any one time. there are racks of blazers, jumpers and trousers along the two sides of the room with fitting rooms along the back wall. in the centre of the room shelves of shirts, shorts and accessories. So you have all these kids of varying sizes trying on jumpers and blazers getting in everyones way. I finally manage to find the right jumpers for my boys, behind us are a mother and her daughter of about 13.
the mother is frustrated but resigned ........ 'if they don't have your size there is nothing we can do about it!'
petulant daughter.......'if I don't have one I will get detention after detention....well if I don't get one you will have to write notes to explain why'
a few minutes later as #4 son is in fitting room trying trousers the same girl is trying a larger jumper...........' I should get this as it will at least have entertainment value it is so large'.

two hours and £120 later we have everything we need, and I am exhausted but pleased that we managed the whole trip with no frayed nerves, no tantrums. #4 has tried on his uniform a few times and been practicing doing his tie. He has marked up all his own things (to excited to let me do it)and packed his bag ready for monday morning when he has his first day at senior school. my baby is growing up!!

2 comments:

George said...

Sounds exactly like my school uniform day last week. Walk in, tell them your name, wait, get called to the fitting room/sample area, give sizes, the person you are with brings samples, try them on, if everything is OK the go to the aisle that holds your school uniforms (they sell uniforms for over a dozen schools ... and it's the only uniform store in the area), bring back what you want and then bring you the the cash. It didn't take me 2 hours though

n said...

I've got all the name tags sewn in, even names in shoes! My baby is starting school for the first time and will be sure to lose something! My family is moving on a stage. Feels like yesterday i was a newlywed and here i am, ready to send my last child off to school! x